God speaks to me through the strangest circumstances and these have only increased since having a child. This is what I learned a couple of days ago.We were at my parents house. Charlotte loves it there. She has all the toys she could possibly want there. The kitchen play set from when I was child, stuffed animals, books, etc. It's a toddler dream. She has free reign to play with almost anything in "our room" when we are there. This is why it was very surprising when I heard splashing coming from the bathroom. I walked in to see Charlotte splashing away in the toilet. Squealing and enjoying every minute until her hand got caught in between the toilet seat and the base of the toilet. That part was not so fun. Gross and utterly disgusting I know...at least it was flushed.
She even got hurt. I lead her out of the bathroom. She immediately tried to go back. I am holding the door shut. She is fighting my strength to get to door open to go back to her beloved toilet water.
Now, Charlotte has always been about the forbidden fruit...she always wants what she cannot have and her dirty little heart gravitates toward these things...i.e. pushing the buttons on our TV.
I had taken Charlotte to the pool that day...we played in water...I gave her a bath...we played with her toys. But what does she want? Toilet water. But what the Lord showed me was this is exactly what I do in my life. He constantly provides me with EVERYTHING I need for Life and more...yet, I am playing with toilet water, pursuing things that are so much less than what God wants, my struggles with sin, toying with ideas that are so far from what He wants...but it's fun and naughty and I settle for something way less than what He wants. And I know thats how silly I must look to God. I am a little toddler splashing in a bowl of filth when He wants so much more for me. Yet He is holding the door, telling me there's something better...
What the best part is...God's put people in my life to guard me from pursuing lesser things...Caleb, family, amazing friends, our home group, our church...
And God has put Caleb and I in charge of Charlotte...to teach her, discipline her and guide her away from the toilet water. And that is our hope...to guide her away from lesser things into a beautiful worship of our God and ALL that He provides by His grace. And in the meantime, I walking around our home closing all the bathroom doors.
Lindey, I am holding you personally responsible for this post since you encouraged me to write about this. And no, my parents toilet was not even close to being that dirty.
3 comments:
Wow. Good post. Where did you find the pic of our old toilet in #6.
i am convinced that i have learned more about the Lord in the last almost 4 years being a mom than i ever would in any seminary.
blythe and her friend ella recently had a tea party with toilet water. literally.
Post a Comment