Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fa la la la la la la la la.

Merry Christmas early. I got this off of the Seays blog. Liz told us about Advent Conspiracy last year and sad to say, we were too deep into the old rut of Christmas to make a total change for how we were spending our money...but this year will be different. 

The focus of Advent Conspiracy is returning the focus of Christmas to the birth of Christ through serving. One way to do that is to spend less money on gifts i.e. using creative avenues for gifts (as in making them) so that more $ is freed up to give to those in need.We plan on making a lot of our gifts for friends and family...and since we love photography...we will probably try to use that in some creative way. Or perhaps I can have Caleb do something musically? Hmmm...anyway...

We have experienced loss this year...namely losing Caleb's dad and having my sister and her family moving half way around the world...and we are reminded more than ever that people are what matters. Christmas will have a new emphasis this year...relationships and gratitude. Please watch this video below for more details on the real heart of Christmas and how you can impact the lives of others and experience God through giving this holiday season.

8 comments:

denisse warshak said...

aina,
ian showed me this a few nights ago and i think it is a great idea... we, too, were too deep in our spending to do it last year. but this year will be different! what an awesome lesson to teach our kiddos! let's spread the word! ;-)

david said...

I like it...

Spiritwick said...

Thank you for this post! Philip had come across information regarding the documentary "What Would Jesus Buy?" a couple months ago, but in all the hub-bub lately, I'd already forgotten about it. Now, I'm hoping to really get a chance to think and talk about how to make this work for our family. Advent conspiracy...I like it. Thanks!

-Amber

DuckworthFam said...

this makes so much sense. Ah! it strikes a chord with us, and this is the way every year should be. I love this thinking.
Creativity, what a concept.

Kristyn said...

Yes, just saw this on her blog as well...was going to try and post it on ours. They did such a good job with the video this year.

Anonymous said...

Aina,

What a beautiful way to get everyone's attention to the getting back to the basics. We too are going back on things this year. I feel just what you said in your letter.

I hope things are going well and I can't thank you enough for loving and caring for my nephew, my sister and my great niece the way that you do. There are no any words that can explain how blessed we are to have you in the family.

Love, Aunt Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hey Carruths! We're doing this too (the Advent Conspiracy). Thanks for the comment on our blog. It was SO GOOD to hear from you. I've read your blog and looked at pictures of your little beauty - Charlotte is SO cute. It has been a very long time... hope things are well with you.

Niccole said...

I meant to go look this up the other night after coffee and forgot. Thank you so much for posting this - it's convicting and challenging!